Welcome to Villa Delfino
Villa Delfino | La Jolla, California
Situated on an oceanfront bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, this sophisticated coastal retreat, affectionately known as Villa Delfino, offers a tranquil serenity rarely found along the southern California coastline.
Masterfully designed to showcase the ocean, Villa Delfino creates a lifestyle harmonious with sun and sea. Private and gated, the property’s 4850 square feet of indoor/outdoor living space demonstrate that function follows form with a residence that is finished with timeless, yet contemporary ocean-influenced materials.
Geographically situated on a small cove, sheltered by a reef that breaks and calms the Pacific Ocean waves, the home is sited on 65 feet of some of the most breathtaking oceanfront in Southern California. The position of the home on the lot, along with the elevation from the surf below serves up phenomenal 180-degree coastal vistas that include the famed Bird Rock, Point Loma, jaw-dropping sunsets and just a half block to one of the most sought-after surf spots in the San Diego.
Offering privacy and a convenient proximity to restaurants, boutiques and sandy beaches, Villa Delfino is one of just a handful of oceanfront properties available in Southern California.
Working with the footprint of the oceanfront site, architect Michael Morton, AIA of Marengo Morton Architects and builder Pancho Dewhurst of GDC Construction, transformed what was an old beach cottage into a modernist villa using unique building materials and cutting-edge construction techniques.
To achieve the owners’ goal of creating a home with intentional peacefulness, modern coastal design and an expansive indoor/outdoor lifestyle, Morton’s design maximized the vastly underutilized potential of the original home site. Working closely with the owners, Morton’s design capitalized on the property’s west-facing orientation and unobstructed ocean views by incorporating functionality to maximize the site’s 3521 sq. ft rectangle lot.
The existing home was taken down to the studs and new caissons were erected to support a new oceanfront deck. Numerous engineering challenges were overcome by GDC to support the new structure and maximize the property’s extensive views. Exterior grout line drainage and Fry Reglet recessed baseboards throughout the home exemplify the intricate craftsmanship performed by GDC Construction.
There is 2350 sq. ft. of living space under roof featuring 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a study/home office, and open-plan living area highlighted with a 6 ft. Sparks linear burner fireplace accented with Cosmos granite surround, and a kitchen fitted with StudioBecker custom cabinetry and Fleetwood doors that open to the massive ocean front deck. The home also offers a two-car garage and storage area.
The approximately 2500 sq. ft. of outdoor living areas includes a private courtyard fitted with a gas burning fire element surrounded tropical landscaping, an outdoor shower area defined by a cascading rock wall, 65-foot floating ocean deck that flows directly from the living room and a second-floor balcony complete with a gas fire element of ocean blue glass and hot tub/spa.
Nestled in the coastal enclave of La Jolla, the home offers a design marriage of earthen natural tones, sea blues and coastal whites accentuating the healing aesthetic of water to transform the spaces throughout the residence.
Elements used throughout the home include:
- A 10-foot custom built glass entrance gate door that greets visitors to the home. The door was made by carving the design in sand which served as a mold for the molten glass that was poured onto it and left to cool.
- The ocean view deck and balcony are complemented by a 40 ft. Rubicola Canary Palm that was craned and planted in 2012 and feature glass railings maximizing the views.
- Reclaimed 200-year-old Indonesian teak is the material used on the floating stairs and bedroom floors.
- 2-foot-by-2-foot Basalt Tiles run from the courtyard entrance through the main living area and kitchen area and onto to the exterior deck and second floor balcony creating a seamless indoor and outdoor flow.
- Mahogany garage door and fencing.
- Fleetwood, Kaynar coated aluminum windows and floor to ceiling patio doors.
- Custom wood beams accent the 2nd floor master retreat which includes a study/home office, walk in closet, storage area, laundry, and ensuite bath.
- The rooms feature hidden, Lutron retractable motor-controlled shades.
- Glass sliding doors, imported from Germany, located in the living room over the fireplace slide to hide the television.
- Italian tiles and mosaics from Stone Unlimited are used throughout the residence.
- The master bedroom ocean view bathroom features mosaics and porcelain tile with fossil stone tile flooring and floor to ceiling ocean view shower area with a rainwater showerhead.
- One main level guest bedroom bathroom offers an ocean view from the shower and is adorned with marble flooring and mother of pearl rose patterned mosaics from floor to ceiling.
- The second main level guest bedroom bath offers wave patterned tiles with a Japanese styled soaking tub
- The powder room is highlighted with a wall of sea blue glass mosaic tiles.
- The kitchen is appointed with StudioBecker custom cabinetry of wenge and aluminum with stainless steel and hardwood interiors, a Wolf gas range, Wolf ovens, Fisher & Paykel double drawer dishwasher and refrigerator.
- Doors and door frames are African Mahogany with brass ringlet around the frames and baseboards with brushed nickel Baldwin hardward from San Diego Hardware.
- The Smart Home System includes: Cat 6 Network, Lutron Lighting system, Control 4 and Sonos systems, Two Audio/TV centers and racks with 75’ 4K TVs.
- ADT Alarm system features a one main floor system and an additional system for the 2nd floor master suite and office area.
- The home has central heat and air conditioning.
- The home has a seawall and drainage system with a 10 ft. well.
- City Lights Views
- Frameless Glass Showers
- Hardwood Floors
- High Ceilings
- Ocean Views
- Open Floor Plan
- Oversized Windows
- Quiet and Private
- Shopping Nearby
- Side-by-Side Washer and Dryer
- Stainless Steel Appliances
- Walk-In Closets
- Custom stone and tile
- Fleetwood windows and patio doors
- Outdoor shower
- 2 gas fire elements
- Wolf appliances
- Floating staircase
- Lutron retractable motor-controlled shades
- Japanese-styled soaking tub